Fire tube boiler
Get a Free Estimate and Expert Advice from Universal Plumbing and Heating in Vancouver, BC.
We offer fire tube boiler services.
Schedule an Estimate
In a fire tube boiler, hot gases from a fire pass through tubes running through a sealed container of water. Thermal conduction transfers the heat of the gases through the walls of the tubes. This process heats the water and ultimately creates steam.
What are the advantages of a fire tube boiler?
Many small tubes that offer a far greater heating surface area for the same overall boiler volume.
What does a fire tube boiler look like?
The general construction of the fire tube boiler is that it is as a tank of water penetrated by tubes that carry the hot flue gases from the fire. The tank is generally in the shape of a cylinder.
The cylindrical shape is known for being the strongest practical shape for a pressurized container. The cylindrical tank of a fire tube boiler can be both horizontal and vertical.
How does a fire tube boiler work?
- Fuel is burnt in a firebox to produce hot combustion gases.
- The hot gases are directed along a series of fire tubes.
- These tubes enter the boiler and heat the water, generating wet steam.
- The steam rises to the highest point of the boiler, the steam dome.
- The steam is collected in the steam dome.
- The steam dome controls the exit of steam from the boiler.
- The superheated steam is directed to the steam engine’s cylinders.
- Exhaust gases are fed out through a chimney.
- To increase the efficiency of the boiler, the exhaust gases produced may be used to pre-heat the feed water.
Universal Plumbing and Heating offers fire tube boiler maintenance, repair and installation in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland. Get in touch with our professionals today to schedule an appointment, call 604-873-3551.